1. General principles
1.1 Aim of the funding
The aim of the funding is the development, maintenance and strengthening of the film, television as well as media culture and economy in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia. The funding intends to contribute to the strengthening of the audio-visual sector in Germany and Europe. With that it will improve and ensure the economic power in the region of these three states of Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia.
A special focus is put upon:
- Strengthening of film and media culture, improvement of media competence and with that helping to form cultural identity within the Central German region.
- Strengthening the performance of the companies of the film, television, as well as media culture economy, intensifying the settlement of businesses.
- Improvement and further development of the quality and competitiveness of film, television and media productions.
- Improvement of the economic power of these three German states in the media sector to ensure employment and training.
- Supporting the development of educational as well as childrens and young peoples oriented media products.
1.2 Objectives of the funding
Preparation, production, distribution and presentation of film, television, video and other audio-visual media productions are funded if they are economically promising.
Innovative new media productions and film marketing concepts may also be funded.
The areas of funding may include the following:
- Script development
- Project development
- Combined production and distribution funding
- Distribution and sales
- Screening and presentation
- Special projects
1.3 Regional focus Funding
May apply to projects that are expected to have cultural or economic effect in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt or Thuringia. The funding granted should be the minimum that is spent on film, television and media specifically in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia in the realisation of the project. Exceptions can be made individually if another regional fund renounces the same amount of its regional focus in favour of the MDM. At least 20 percent may be spent in another country of the European Union.
Companies which are legally associated with the MDR (Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk) shall co-operate with other regional companies in the realisation of MDM funded projects. The support of the MDM shall be mentioned appropriately at the presentation of the project. Attention has to be paid to positive effects on vocational training in the film and media sector. The premiere of supported projects should take place in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt or Thuringia.
1.4 Clause of exclusion
Projects that violate the constitution or laws; the right of personality; and ethical or religious feelings cannot be supported. Especially projects with pornographic content, glorifying violence or ones that are harmful to young people are excluded from funding.